Another very simple preserved veg that starts with salting to remove some of the moisture to keep the crunch! The red cabbage used here was picked from my allotment last week and pickled the same day.
1 medium red cabbage
1 onion sliced
1 TBSP salt
½ tbsp granulated sugar
450ml Pickling vinegar
- Cut the cabbage into quarters and discard the outer leaves. Cut away the hard central core and shred the remaining cabbage finely.
- Layer the cabbage in a colander with the salt, over a bow,l then cover and leave to stand overnight.
- The following day thoroughly rinse the cabbage and pat dry with kitchen roll (or spin dry with a salad spinner)
- In a saucepan gently heat the vinegar and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Pack the cabbage into a sterilised jar adding a slice or two of onion as you go.
- Pour in the vinegar until the cabbage is covered then put on the lid.
- Label and leave for a week before eating.
Then get approval !!!
What is it like Tez??